Saturday, October 12, 2013

Wud Up Wit Me (Part 2 of 2)


So this is the second part of my update from being M.I.A. from my blog over the past couple months. Just a continuation of what I've been up to... because I know you're dying to know...


~ Marathon Training!
Can you believe I'm actually still committed to this marathon? 

Yeah, me either.

I'm up to about 2 hours & 45 minutes for my long runs (which is about 14-16 miles, depending on how little water I drank or food I ate that day... I really need to get better about staying hydrated and watching my nutrition. My trainer husband would say has said the same.)

Speaking of my trainer husband, he is totally annoyed with me, because he thinks I've been sandbagging on my runs recently. #rude

Who does he think he is?? Just because I run like crap one day, doesn't mean I can't have a great run the next. I'm still trying to get out of post-partum shape, so I'm just happy I'm running. And he should be too, right?? ;-)

Because he is convinced I'm a sandbagger these days, he has me set to do a run assessment so he can really see what I can do currently. Ugh. This is what my training program says I have to do.


Greeaaattt... this is going to suck. A 5K isn't bad, but whether I do well or not, that means he'll have more accurate readings on me and what I can do.
And it's all thanks to my new Garmin 910xt that can upload my pace, heart rate, time, distance, incline, decline, blood pressure, internal temperature, social security number, and credit card information into his online training program. (Not really on the last four, but you catch my drift.) 

This watch is awesome, by the way.

It's a multi-sport watch, which will work well once I start training for my first triathlon here in the near future. (I need to get this blessed marathon over with first before I get all endurance happy in other sport areas.) Anyway, I recommend this watch, fo shizzle.


PS - this run sucked. Wrong time of day to run with the heat,
not a well planned course on my part, and I lost my car key
at one point. I won't do that again. 

So I guess this marathon is actually going to happen. Whether I like it or not. I have a snazzy new watch, have invested hours per week training, and have donors and cancer-stricken kiddos depending on it.

(They're depending on YOU too... check out my FUNDRAISING PAGE if you haven't already! Your donations are appreciated MORE than you know!! Thank you for those who have donated and thank you in advance to those who are going to by clicking HERE!)


~ New Friends & Church!
I'm in the middle of my 3rd bible study held at my church. Hope Church in Memphis has the most amazing Women's Ministry program and they hold a multitude of bible studies each semester. I'm currently reading Principle of the Path (Andy Stanley) with my small group and it's pretty good. (I recommend it to ANYONE... and the cool thing is, it's not too "church-y"of a read, either.) I've been with the same group of women over the past 3 semesters and I can't tell you how utterly uh-maz-ing they are. There are 3-4 older women in particular who have sort of "adopted" myself and two other friends (Molly and Ashlee). Molly, Ashlee and I are among the younger women attending, which is why these other women have so-called "adopted" us. ;-) And we love it. They've become amazing mentors in faith for all three of us.

Molly and I have even joined the women's leadership team with the church and are loving that as well. We get to spend our Monday evenings prior to Bible study with the incredible group of ladies who help run the ministry. We've loved gathering with them (both inside and outside of church) and getting to know them better, as well.

This fall, I also started meeting weekly with a group of moms. I have a feeling these women may become my saving grace when it comes to parenting. We all have children around the same age and can lean on each other when we're about to rip our hair out after the tenth fight to get our kids to eat their veggies or go to bed on time. We are reading the book Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe (Sarah Mae & Sally Clarkson) together.

Alright, let me stop right there. Full disclosure: this book couldn't have come at a better time in my life. It's for those of us moms who sometimes wake up and pray to the Good Lord how we don't have the energy to be a mom again that day. If you're a mom - especially of young ones - I recommend you pick this book up and give it a looksie. You don't have to necessarily be at a "desperate" stage in your mom-life, but it's good for any mama at any stage of their kids' lives.


~ Writing!
I've been doing a lot of writing recently and it's been awesome. This is what I feel like I'm called to do, for sure. It's only taken me 30 years to figure it out. ;-)

For starters, I'm almost done with the book!! EEK!! It's been sent to a developmental editor, been through one round of edits, and I've consulted with publishers already. It's all very surreal.

Now, there's still a lot to be done with it... (more editing, legal jazz, writing conferences to attend, and agent/publishing queries and pitches to be made)... but I'm on the right track. And I'm jazzed. Keep the prayers coming for me on this project. It's a pretty big deal... at least for me. :-)

I've also started doing some writer's training with Proverbs 31 Ministries and author/writers, Lysa Terkeurst and Glynnis Whitwer. I started that this past week and am loving it thus far. :-) I think it's truly going to help me grow in my writing. Not that you'll be able to tell on this here blog... I sort of skip over the "editing" phase before hitting publish and don't stress about being creative in my post topics. #oops #lazy

Last week, I got a sneak peek at my article spread that will be published in the next issue of American Cheerleader Magazine!! I'm so excited to have my first article in a national magazine! I remember subscribing to and reading this magazine when I was in middle school, and now I have an article being published in it! WHOOP! Don't worry - I'll be updating you once it goes to print!! I'm also excited because they have asked me to submit more stories/articles for upcoming issues too. Speaking of... I should probably wrap this post up so I can go finish the next one...

But who would have thought I'd ever really call myself "a writer?" Definitely not me. The term "writer" has always been a little scary and reserved for those who were "real" writers... whatever that means. But what is boils down to is this: writers write. And I've been writing. And I plan to not stop. And I am excited about it.



Alright, I think that's it for now... I'm sure I probably missed some life-altering situation that happened to me, but oh well... I've probably bored you enough already!


No comments: