Monday, October 28, 2013

Cast Iron Annoyingness

Recently, the husby and I decided to switch out our trusty Calphalon cook wear for something newer. After over seven years of use, it was time for them to go. Bryant was convinced the exterior coloring that was wiping off on our hands was going to cause us to grow three heads or something.  (It turns out the non-stick pots and pans we had are NOT dishwasher safe. Oops. It only took seven years to figure it out.)

So anyway, we decided to not only replace our set, but also cut down on the number of them we owned. 

We went from six or seven pieces to only three. (We kept an extra large stainless steel pot). Because let's be real. Bryant only uses one pot to cook Quinoa and one other to saute veggies.... and me? Well, I don't cook. 

So without any research or anything, we jumped on Amazon and ordered these two cast-iron pieces.

 


Now, remember when I mentioned above that we have been putting our non-stick items in the dishwasher for the past seven years? Well, I'll be honest with you - it was due to sheer laziness and not a lack of knowing how to properly care for them. But don't judge me. Who likes to HANDWASH anything these days?

Not me.

Well...

I'm here to inform you.

These items above? Well, they are not dishwasher safe either.

NOR can you just wash them and put them away.

Oh, no...

You must "treat" them after every use.

SERIOUSLY????

After HANDwashing them, they must be dried immediately, and then "seasoned" with a light coat of vegetable oil.

SERIOUSLY.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that these things are heavier than a dead preacher. The label should come with a warning sign that reads: 


Not a joke.

I almost broke myself last night lifting the Dutch Oven one into the sink. Water and soap was everywhere.

However, with all that being said, they cook great!! So if you are interested in pre and post treating all your cookware and throwing out your back on a daily basis, I recommend investing in this bad boy and this bad boy!



2 comments:

Joemama? said...

Let's hope that's the only Dutch oven being utilized tonight.

Kristin said...

@Joemama.... I just laughed out loud!!! Hahaha!