Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Kale Jenga

Are you sitting down? You'd better do it, if not.

I cooked dinner again the other night. But this time, for real. 

I know... good thing you took a seat.

So, as I was saying, I got a wild hair up the rear and decided to throw some veggies in a skillet to see what happened.

Here's what met its final destination in my belly.
  • Big ole scoop of coconut oil to lather up the pan (mainly because I love the smell)
  • Roughly 3/4 of a large, but sort-of small onion
  • A few cloves of garlic.... I think I used 3? Maybe? I don't remember.
  • A bunch of small sweet peppers
  • 4-6 baby portabella mushrooms
  • 1 extra large, honkin' zucchini 
  • pepper
  • salt
  • rosemary 
Because I lack creativity in the culinary arts, I wasn't quite sure what to do with all the veggies once they were done, so in another pot went, what else? Spaghetti noodles.

After the noddles started cooking, at the last minute I chopped up a tomato and a little, some, quite a bit, colossal load of kale to go in, as well.
(Three bushels, to be exact. Not a Costco sized bushel, though. We're Kroger stock holders around here, so whatever size Kroger bushels tend to be are the size we used.)
(I'm pretty good at this whole measurement thing, aren't I?)
(PS - Don't you need to go pick up some extra sugar or something at Kroger after you read this? Just a friendly and totally non-biased reminder.)


If you aren't able to tell from the above picture, the cooking adventure became quite the strategic game of Kale Jenga. That's a 13 1/4 inch cast iron skillet, people. We don't play game when it comes to kale around here.

Though no worries, I won.
(What can I say? We love our kale.)

So once it all cooked, I put a tiny bit of marina sauce (to make it taste more like spaghetti, of course) and voilà

Our dinner of kale and a side of veggies and noodles was served. 


And everybody liked it...
(I think...)

And everybody lived.... 
(Despite a couple times where the smell of burning noodles and kale overtook the kitchen and emergency personnel were almost dialed. But don't worry - I can count on only one hand the number of times I had to reach for my phone to almost call in reinforcements. No big deal.)

And the best part? I didn't have to clean after.

Booyah.

3 comments:

Delta Daisies said...

I adddddore kale.

gail dusa said...

The best cooks I know just throw a bunch of stuff that sounds good into a pot and come up with some really great stuff. You are more of a chef than you know. Sounds delish, by the way.

The Southern Wife said...

I'm stealing this.