Wednesday, January 16, 2013

On a Mission: Spring Valley & Field Trip (5 of 6)

I am a slacker.

I didn't journal the night of Day 4, when we went back to Spring Valley, so I don't have a whole lot of details to share from that day... and you should know, I don't really have the best memory either, so I don't have much to pull from. (Which is a main reason I journal). Here is what I remember:

We did go back and play more with the children, and I was blessed enough to listen to Celeste's story. Celeste is the HIV positive seamstress for Spring Valley and makes all the school's uniforms. She is also the mastermind behind the Be Free Restoration Tote and creates all the bags BFR sells. In a nutshell, I have to tell you this woman is amazing.

A. Maz. Ing.

She has endured more hardship than anybody I have EVER met in my life and she lives to tell joyfully about it. And you know what? She is grateful for it and gives all the glory to God. Amazing. I'll just tell you while she was sharing her story (she was being video recorded during it), I was a hot mess. Snot, tears, other weird bodily fluids were all flowing as I ugly-cried black mascara tears behind the camera. Thank God, they didn't show anybody she was talking to. My dress unfortunately was the not so lucky party involved, as it was covered in snotty tears I was forced to wipe away throughout the 45 minute story.

My van! Adam, Me, Mary, Cindy, & Lacey
Anyway, that was probably the highlight of my day... another completely humbling experience. (Maybe I'll be able to share it someday... but it's not really my story to tell.) I also got to hear Maggie's (our mission mum) niece give a motivational speech to the Class 8 students at Spring Valley who were about to take their national exams. These exams determine where and if these kids move onto secondary school. It's a really big deal, so Sally (Maggie's niece) was kind enough to come and speak to them. I have to admit, I found myself writing quotes from her speech down to carry over into my life. This young 25 year old speaker was astounding and so relatable. I guess I needed to hear her as well, to apply her principles to MY life. :-)

Before we left Spring Valley, we were divided into groups again with the kids and had a dance off. Which was hysterical. The boys won, unfortunately.... though I am here to tell you there were NOT the best dancers of the groups! ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me hanging with some of the boys!
The next day, we worked again with the kids of Kibera and Wings of Life... though this time, BFR had arranged for ALL the students to LEAVE Kibera on a field trip to a local Nairobi park via a few buses they rented. This was a HUGE deal because most of these kids, if any, had never in their lives left Kibera's 1.5 square miles, let alone been on a field trip. To my knowledge, it was the very first field trip Wings of Life ever had.

And the kids went crazy.

They loved every second.

And so did we.

We originally had games set up in stations around the park where the kids would rotate, but we realized pretty soon that plan went to hell, because the kids just wanted to run and play without rules. And we were completely fine with it.

It was so fun to watch them. They were chasing each other in the open grass (remember, there is no open area to run in Kibera or even grass really), doing cartwheels, flips, jumping rope, playing ball... It was just a good long afternoon of FUN for them to get away.

And you know what? It was so fun, we were even joined by warthogs.

I know, right?? Warthogs??

But yes - they roamed the park like squirrels would over here. So strange.

Alright, more tomorrow!  Enjoy the pics below!

Walking into the park!

Nick & I manned the jump rope station!

Waiting to cross the road to play!

Not to worry - my hair was braided again!

Creating the "GIVE" ornaments BFR sold during the holidays.
Proceeds went back to feed the kids at school like I talked about HERE!




We were joined by Pumba's family! I couldn't believe these guys just roam around!



No comments: