Tuesday, January 15, 2013

On a Mission: Journey to Kibera (4 of 6)

(Photos in this post were taken by myself and also some of my BFR mission team members who so sweetly posted them on Facebook so I could easily steal them. ;-) )

On Monday we went to Kibera.

One word.

In-freaking-sane.

In case you don't know anything about Kibera, here's a very short run down on this area of the city of Nairobi:
  • One of the top five largest slums in the world
  • Spans 1.5 square miles in the middle of the city Nairobi
  • Houses roughly 1 million people (yes, in 1.5 square miles... you read that right).
  • Average income is less than $1 per day
  • No formal sanitation system
I've included a short Be Free video about it below. I highly encourage you to watch it. This footage was taken and put together by Roger Williams, one of the missionaries who went on the trip with us. He did a rocking job of it too. 

(You'll see BFR's co-founders Lacey & Britney. Lacey, one of my BFF's is the girl in the necklace on the left, & Britney is in the green. They shot this literally on the streets with Priscilla and a few students while the rest of us were playing with the kids in the school. The singing is from Steve, our van driver, who sang to us traditional worship songs during our daily commutes & the kids singing when we arrived. These pictures are literally of people we drove by getting to our destination. If you look quickly, you'll even see my "braids" at the end of the video.)



I've never seen a place like this before. Roads of trash. Wild dogs and chickens roaming. Children barefoot in the dirty streets... some with no clothes on. No sign what-so-ever of their parents or where they might even live. People working. People not working. People sitting, laying, and walking out in the open. It was all so overwhelming. And that was before we even got out of the car.

Our first stop in Kibera was to pick up security. We had arranged for security (i.e. armed uniformed guards rocking machine guns and machetes... the real deal.) to be with us while in the heart of Kibera. Having a large group of (namely white) missionaries and tourists in that location is not normally the safest idea without security. And let me tell you, these guards were legit. One of them sat directly in front of me in the van after we picked them up, and he scared the living daylights out of me. Like, I kind of wanted to pee myself a little bit when I saw him. I wish I had a picture to share with you all, but they would not allow us to photograph them at all. Told you... Legit.

After we picked them up, we drove into the heart of Kibera to work with students at a school there. The school we went to was called Wings of Life, and was located down a tiny alley, where to get to we had to step over trash and dodge corners of sheet metal roofs and walls. As we walked down the alley, we could hear the students singing to welcome us, before we even entered the school. It was super cool! We turned into the gates and the kids were singing and dancing, awaiting our arrival. I couldn't stop smiling, it was so warm and welcoming. (You can see a short clip their welcome songs in the video above as well).

After the song and dance, we split into groups with each class age. I went with Class 4, 5, & 6 to follow up answering questions on the "Be Well" program they had started in July when BFR was there. On one of the prior trips over there, a need was seen to educate these young kids on their bodies, puberty, hygeiene, etc. So BFR started doing that last July with the semi-older girls and boys Pehucci, Spring Valley, and Wings of Life. Since the "Be Well" lecture had technically already been given, my group was there to help answer any questions or concerns that may have arisen between July and November on the subject. And yes - they had some. I was surprised by some of the questions we got, but at the same time, not so surprised. Innocent questions like "Can you lose your virginity if you fall while riding you bike?" came up.

After questions were done, we played with them. We did everything from painting nails, to coloring, to playing "Little Sally Walker" again, just like before at Pehucci. I thoroughly believe these girls didn't care what we did, they just enjoyed being with us. And I was perfectly okay with that, because I felt the same way. :-)

We ate lunch there in an empty classroom, with a phenomenal home cooked meal by Priscilla (the head teacher) and her family. While we were eating, Priscilla stood up and talked a little bit about the school and BFR's involvement with them. Well, turns out that I didn't even the slightest clue about it... even though one of my best friends is the co-founder of Be Free. Okay, I knew BFR helped the school, but it turns Lacey's been a little bit humble in how she describes the impact they've had on these children. So I'm here to let you all know... I don't mind not being humble for her. :-) Bear with me while I not-so-effectively try to put into words what it was like hearing all of this....

Priscilla began explaining some about the daily lives of these children - the lucky ones who are able to attend school. Many of the students are the children of drunkards, users, and prostitutes. Their home lives are unimaginable to people like you and I. Unimaginable in that I wouldn't even WANT to imagine what their lives were like on a day to day basis. It goes way beyond the typical crack house in the USA or even to the lowest poverty level that our country boasts of.

By just looking at some of the kids, you could tell. On top of the secrets held behind their sad looking eyes, there were scars, bruises and even open wounds on the children that hinted at what has happened to them in their short lives. One little six year old kid even had what looked like a possible STD all over his face and mouth. Thank God, we had a couple nurses with us on our trip and the two of them did a phenomenal job administering some medical attention to some of the kids who needed help.  (They also did this while at other places we stopped at. Our nurses, Taylor and Meredith were amazing!).

The term "broken heart" is often loosely thrown around in our culture... but that day, mine truly did rip in half. Innocence in these kids is lost, yet never even understood. These children daily endure physical aches and pains that never once in my life did I even have a nightmare might happen to me. The pains of hunger on top of how physically and emotionally a right hook would feel coming from your "loving" parent.

And even more than that, my heart broke just to see how HAPPY they still were. I was unhappy just looking at them... I couldn't imagine being happy actually living their lives. But they were. Their joy, at least around us, was contagious and you could tell they lived each day to the fullest, despite their troubles. Their happiness was hidden behind their rough exteriors... until your smile brought out the hidden grins they so desperately wanted to share. They have had learned to truly depend on God every single day of their lives. And depend on Him for complete survival - to make it to the next day, to find that next meal... and not just to fill their wants and wishes for that day like I so often find myself doing. Seeing these children was the most humbling experience I have ever had in my life... and possibly ever will again.

Priscilla explained to us how Wings of Life has always tried to feed their students breakfast (which, let's be real... breakfast is only half a cup of foul smelling porridge or something similar that my own daughter... and myself... would scoff at if offered), but that was becoming harder and harder. Though, because of BFR's donations (thanks to people like YOU with your purchases of their merchandise) Wings of Life has been able to feed it's students breakfast AND lunch every school day. Most of these children ONLY eat when they are at school, and do not get another meal until they return to school the following day.

This information blew my mind.

Had BFR, or really any other donating organization who'd come in and seen a need, not decided to donate all their proceeds back, these children would not eat. Or maybe even fed sparsely. My heart broke for the second time that day when I heard that. Though at the same time, it made my heart swell because I was - no, AM - so extremely proud of Be Free and what they stand for.

Because there literally ARE starving children in Africa.

Britney and Lacey truly have been called by God to help these people, and I couldn't be prouder to have watched them grow BFR from the ground up and give EVERYTHING they earn back to these children. :-) I know Jesus smiles down on the two of them and their organization daily. I can't wait to see what BFR does in the future and what blessings God brings back to them as well!

Even though I was exhausted still from lack of sleep and my crack Kenyan tea having worn off, it wasn't hard after hearing all of that information to go back out and play and love on the children, who were anxiously waiting for us to finish eating with the "adults."  :-)  Having been on my feet running around and dancing with them all day, I finally decided to sit my pregnant butt down and relax with the kids.

Braided freak! ;-)
Once I sat, the girls immediately ripped my hat off and started petting my head. It was actually kind of funny. They were mesmerized by my hair (good or bad - I'll never know), which I guess if you think about it, they aren't really used to seeing too much "white people" hair very often. The petting soon turned into 45 minutes worth of braiding. At one point, I had 12 girls with their hands on my head, playing with my hair. Despite it making me look like a braided freak and making my hair the dirtiest it's been in a long time (thank goodness for running water and the hot shower I was able to take later at Wengeshi's!), it was fun just relaxing and letting them braid me up!

We left Wings of Life probably about 3:30 or 4:00 to head to dinner because we needed to get out of Kibera before dark. After, we went to a Java House in downtown Nairobi to eat and meet with some of BFR's Kenyan contacts. The food was amazingly "American" and wonderful! Though by the end of the emotional day, everyone was beat and ready for bed!

Our welcome dance and song....
notice the children in the background who were
not students just watching.... Very sad.
Sanitation System in Kibea

Students of Wings of Life


Some of the kids who lived next to the school, but were not enrolled.
It was so sad to see them watching the kids in school.

With Lacey - Queen Bee of BFR :-)

Driving down the streets of Kibera





Priscilla - Head Teacher at Wings of Life school & BFR Papers of Peace Coordinator.
An amazing woman!






No comments: