Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy Twenty Fourteen!!

Wow - is it really 2014, already??? Happy New Year, friends!!  I hope your holidays were amazing and you are pumped to wipe the slate clean and start over.... again! :-)

As I did last year, I wanted to take a quick look back on this past year and then forward to 2014. Because, let's be real... it's basically a requirement for a blogger to write a New Year's post. I'll be honest, this post was kind of hard to finish for me. Not because 2013 was some sort of epic year or anything, but instead it was sort of a blur for me... possibly due to a lack of sleep. But I am having a hard time remembering it. (Are we surprised? My memory blows.) Besides a couple big instances (birthing child should be considered a big deal, right?), 2013 may get lost somewhere in a faded memory stack in my brain as "just another year." I don't know, I'm kind of excited to leave this past year behind and move on. Anyway...moving on...

Here is my 2013 Inventory:
  • In 2013, I gained another huge gift from God - Meda Grayson. Words aren't big enough to encapsulate the emotions that having children brings. 
  • I lost my mind. Quite a few times. It's currently back, but rest-assure... it will be gone again soon. Probably by morning. 
  • I stopped singing in the choir at church. With the new baby and... well, life really... the time commitment during the week for rehearsals and the numerous services per weekend wasn't something I could commit to for 2013. I plan on getting back into it in 2014, though. I miss my choir friends and worshipping with them on the weekends!
  • I started getting more involved with leadership teams at my church though and have met some amazing people who are great mentors for me. 
  • I was hugely satisfied by finishing the first draft of my novel. Now I need to finish all the edits.
  • And frustrated by my short, but ugly bout with post-partum depression. 
  • I am so embarrassed I now have four dogs. Yes. FOUR. Who has FOUR DOGS???? OMG. Embarrassing. But I'm totally in love with the fourth addition and she was worth it!
  • Once again, I missed estranged family members.
  • Once again, I wished they missed me too. 
  • The biggest physical difference between me last December and this December is my lack of a protruding pregnant belly. 
  • The biggest psychological difference between me last December and this December is my mind doesn't turn off anymore. Ever. I feel less "at peace" and am unable to relax these days. Ugh. That was really annoying to write/admit. Maybe the addition of another child and a fourth dog has something to do with that?? Hmmm....
  • I loved joining a new life group and getting to know new friends at church.
  • Why did I spend even two minutes playing candy crush??? 
  • I should have spent more time in prayer. But I'm pretty sure no matter how much time is spent in prayer, that much more could still be spent there... something to work on.
  • I regret working immediately after having the baby. At the time, I didn't think it was a big deal. It was. 
  • I will never regret being a tad O.C.D. when it comes to keeping our home in a relative state of cleanness. I'm a much happier and calmer person when I'm not surrounded by a cluster. I wish my husband was the same... #hinthint
  • I ran way too much. Training for a 26.2 mile race is like having a second job. I'm not so sure I can do that again with the time commitment it requires. At least not at this point in my life with young kiddos. Maybe someday... maybe even for St. Jude next year... we'll have to see.
  • They will FIND YOU....
    The most relaxing place I went was
    the restroom. By utilizing the restroom (or pretending to), I was able to gain precious minutes alone... Until I was caught. If you're a parent - I know you feel me on this one, don't deny it... Second only to the bathroom was Santa Barbara, California back in March. I got to shop, eat a truck load of great food, and catch up on my reading. Thank you so much to our good friends, the Reeds, for having us!
  • I did not race 26.2 miles like I hoped for, planned for, and paid for. 
  • The best thing I did for myself was enroll in a writer's training program.
  • The best thing someone did for me was take over caring for my family so that I could get a nap or two in. 
  • The one thing I'd like to do again, but do it better is write a book. 

(Fill-in-the-blank template from Mary Schmich at The Chicago Tribune found via this blog



2014 Intentions:
  • Keep up the running and run a handful more races and some half-marathons. But get faster while doing it. I'm almost to my pre-baby speed, but not quite there yet.
  • Attend 1-2 major writing conferences. This will be where I pitch my novel to agents/publishing houses and also get some major training in at the same time. I'm thinking about heading to Texas and/or North Carolina later in the year to do this. 
  • Convince my husband to take/send me to see Britney Spears in Vegas. Yes, seriously. I'm adding this to my New Year's list. Ms. Spears is totally worth a spot in this post. 
  • Add an additional freelance job or two...maybe. I'm not stressed about this one, but it'd be cool - if not, no big deal. :-) But it might be cool to make a little extra cash.


Wishing you a FABULOUS Twenty Fourteen!!


No comments: