Tuesday, January 14, 2014

This is the Year of Reading


So I enjoy reading - a lot. I don't do it as much as I'd like (insert the excuse of having to be a parent and make sure the two kids in my house survive each day... blah blah blah...).

But I'm over not being able to read whenever I want.

Really, I am.

Anyway, I've recently had a larger-than-normal number of people ask me for book recommendations... New Year's resolutions to read more, maybe? I don't know, but I figured I'd write a quick post about some of what I'm recommending these days. :-)

If you're a reader and not on Goodreads yet, I recommend doing that first! It's a fun site where you can update your "bookshelves" and keep track of what you are reading, want to read, and have read. You can also read reviews from your friends on there to find out what you may want to pick up from the library or bookstore next. :-) You can also create or join reading challenges, etc.. Go ahead and add me as a friend while you're at it too!

Moving on...

Here is a list of what I read in 2013. I would recommend any of these books. Some more than others, but it's worth it to take a looksie at all of them and see what might float your boat. (Yes, I just said "float your boat."). I've put a link to the book description/my review on Goodreads.

Legend: 
(because I really like using symbols rather than typing a bunch of stuff out. Lazy? Absolutely.)
!   go read NOW
^  made me laugh
~  fabulous writing
$  super cool or interesting story line/theme
+  self help
*  has a blatant or implied Christian theme... I know some people (unfortunately) don't like these types of books, so I figured I'd share which ones are. If you don't - then I'm sorry for you... you're missing out on some amazing stories. 


Also, here is a list I would recommend as they are a few favorites of mine that I had read prior to last year. If you can't tell, I have some favorite authors who keep reappearing. There is definitely more on this list, but these are the few that popped into my head immediately.

Well, now... I'm not sure how you are feeling about the symbols above (annoyed, maybe?), but I'm kind of liking how it looks. #nerdalert

Anway - I hope at least one person finds this post interesting and/or helpful! 

What are YOU reading right now? Anything I should add to this list??

2 comments:

Grandma Gail's Tales said...

Reading Piccoult's Storyteller now. She never disappoints.

Delta Daisies said...

I have been meaning to read the story teller!! Thanks for the reminder!