Thursday, November 7, 2013

Meet Scarlett

Disclaimer: I am HIGHLY aware that I am a blazing idiot with a 6 month old and a house full of three dogs. However...

We added another member to our family this week.

Meet Scarlett.

Scarlett is our new 8 week old Doberman Pinscher puppy.

And she's awesome. I'm completely in love with her.

So back story: My mom had a dobe when I was a infant (I'm talking like 2 months old… so I don't remember her), and she has always claimed she was the best dog she's ever had. Everyone else who has had a Doberman has told me the same thing. (We have some high expectations for Scarlett now.)

So enter my desire to own a doberman.  (And to rescue a ex-racing greyhound, but that one is being curbed for a while!) 

When I came home from working all day on Saturday, Bryant nonchalantly dropped a bomb, "I think I found a doberman for you."

OMG. I about peed myself, y'all.

And then I got my hopes up.

And then those hopes were swept out from under me.

I'm talking, 'There Will Be A Loss Of Cabin Pressure And An Oxygen Mask Will Fall' dashing of the hopes. Turns out the guy who Bryant found the puppy from was Shady, with a capitol 'S.'

When we asked him to send pictures of the pup's parents, he texted Doberman images he had googled. The pictures he sent were from the first google image results page, and he claimed they were his puppy's parents. They were images I immediately recognized from googling doberman pictures myself. Images that link to blogs about someone's dead dog from 8 years ago. And the picture of the mom he sent? Well, it was a picture of a MALE PUPPY. It was CLEARLY a male dog. So yeah, this guy was definitely trying to pull one over on us and wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed while doing so.

So anyway, insert feelings of utter disappointment on my part. So what did I do?

Anything someone with my hyper-obsessive personality would do, of course….

I googled and researched doberman breeders, available puppies and upcoming litters for the next 48 hours straight. Literally. 48 hours.

Nothing was done in my house for two days. Laundry piled up. Dishes sat unwashed in the sink. Toilets remained un-flushed.
(This experience made me realize exactly how much I do around this house. Don't worry, toilets are backed to being flushed around here now.)

But in that 2 day period, I did find out some great & useful doberman information. So there's that.

Did you know there are HARDLY ANY reputable breeders of Dobes in TN, AR, & MS??? The ones that ARE good, are located too far away for a quick pick-up. (Not good for my Immediate Gratification type of personality.)

Anyway, just when my tiny little bubble of hope of getting a doberman was on the verge of popping I found hidden in a little corner of the internet an ad for AKC registered puppies IN MEMPHIS. And they had available exactly what I wanted - RED FEMALES. 

And then the heavens opened up and angels sang the Hallelujah Chorus.

So I was told that if I wanted the pick of the litter, Monday night was the night to go check them out because other people were coming later in the week to pick out some females.

My sense of urgency kicked in and I was able to coerce Bryant agreed to go have a look.

FOR THE RECORD: I left the final decision on getting this puppy completely up to Bryant. Being well aware of my emotional purchasing history, I knew he would be the level-headed one when it came time to say yes or no to this puppy.

(And do you like how we added a puppy to our family the same week I posted #7 on this other blog post. God is straight up laughing at me right now…)

Well, clearly Bryant's head wasn't too level, because Scarlett came home with us that night! ;-) I guess he's thinking once she's a little older, we can cancel our ADT service.

So, here she is. And like I mentioned above - she's awesome.




2 comments:

S.I.F. said...

Holy adorable puppy! I love her!

Heather said...

Adorable! I'm Heather and I was wondering if you could answer my quick question I have about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)