Saturday, May 4, 2013

You Can Take the Girl Out of Kentucky, But Not Kentucky Out of the Girl

So, in case you don't know already, I'm originally from Kentucky.

And proud of it.

And also, in case you didn't know, I used to be highly involved in horses.  

Like I said, I'm from Kentucky.

It's basically mandatory to love horses.

(Okay, okay... not everybody is into them there... but I definitely was.)

I used to ride them, show them, own them (more accurately, one), read about them and basically obsess over them every chance I got. Starting on my 10th birthday, my dad used to take me every year to the races either at Keeneland or Churchill Downs to appease my obsession. #BestBirthdayGiftEver  

After moving to New Mexico, my love for them didn't die, but my involvement definitely did. That's when my sister went all obsessive over them and started purchasing them and becoming a rock-star rider. (Have I mentioned she competed at the NCAA College Nationals in Equestrian? AND did really well? #RockStar #OnlySlightlyJealous) I, on the other hand, got more involved with cheerleading and gymnastics... and who has time to muck stalls and pick hooves when you're wearing crushed velvet leotards and short skirts cheering on the boys from the sideline??? Not me...

So anyway - that aside and with that info in mind, I wanted to let you know how much I LOVE Derby Day.

And not the Roller Derby...

The Kentucky Derby, that is.


This is a race I actually haven't been to... yet. However, I plan on going sometime in the not-so-distant future and doing it up.... attending the Oaks the day before, mint juleps, the big hat, singing 'My Old Kentucky Home,' all of it.

And no in-field for me. I would have maybe joined that colossal mess of a party while still in college maybe, but not now. I want to get all prettied up and go sit in a box seat and do it right.

So yeah. There you have it. I'll be celebrating this Derby with a frosty (virgin) mint julep in hand, looking jealously at pics of old KY friends of mine on FB attending, and yelling for the horse I placed a bet on, all the while wishing I was there.

So here's to the 139th running of the Derby. :-) The greatest two minutes in sports. 

No comments: