Friday, November 27, 2009

They Call Me Dean....Paula Dean.

Well, it happened.  And everyone lived through it.  Myself.  McKenna.  Bryant.  The dogs.  The house.  The neighboorhood.  Wow.  A miracle.  A sign from God that his time for us is not up yet.  Yes.  I'm talking about Thanksgiving Dinner 2009.  What was different about this Thanksgiving meal verse years' past?  Well, let's just say that the cooks in my family (a.k.a Bryant, my mom, my aunt, my Grandma, my M.I.L, or anybody else's Thanksgiving dinner I've devoured!) passed the apron, so to speak....to me!  Oh Jesus.  This could have been bad.  Real bad.  Let me preface by saying that I have royally messed up all of the following while attempting to do what they call "cook:"  hard boiled eggs, chicken noodle soup (Campbell's....only to be heated up), Easy Mac, & cheese quesadilla's.  These are all validated.  No lie.  Ask the unfortunate members of my family.  They can, and will, verify. 

I decided to document my Turkey Day adventures in the kitchen with a few photos.  This way there were photos available for insurance purposes after the fact. 


Rather than frying, roasting, basting (what does that even mean?), plucking, or whatever else you can do to a turkey, Bryant & I decided to use the good 'ole crockpot & slowly cook that bad boy to a crisp.  I might have let Bryant take care of decapitating it so that it would fit in the pot.....that weird feeling of mushy, fleshy, dead meat gives me the heebie jeebies & quite frankly makes me want to vomit.  Once it was small enough to fit, we threw a smorgasbord of random crap in there and let it sit for 8 hours.  Nice.  My kind of cooking.




This is what we like to call Obbessive Compulsive Disorder.... I might have HAD to put each items in the container that it would be served in before they were even cooked.  Doing this made everything right in my life. :-)




While the turkey was basting, baking, or whatever it is that turkey's do in crockpots, I decided to make a scrumptcious cheesecake....from scratch of course. 


So to make cheesecake (from scratch), all you have to add is butter....wish I would have seen how easy it was to measure butter before I started scooping it. Damn.












 Regardless, the ending product was in the words of my girl, Rachel Ray, delish.  :-)



Lucy enjoyed the cheesecake too....while Cami just thought she was in trouble for some reason.  Pansie.















Then it was nap & wine break time!!  :-)  World's best baby sitter right here!  Cheers!




I busted out the fine china for the occassion.  Booyah! 












Our feast!  And despite the couple "bumps in the road," like the first round of stuffing burning & almost running out of wine.....it was delicious.  A day for the record books! 



  And then the smell of turkey left-overs & dog food almost made me ralph.  Awesome.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your graphic picture!! Not sure about the crock-pot picture of turkey??? But so proud that Bryant got to eat rather than cook :) Mom

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tuttle Tales said...

So Proud, my little mi hija is growing up!! Find it really funny though that you didn't know sticks of butter have the measurements on them!!! lol PS- I did the same thing with the serving dishes but then took them all out quickly before anyone could see! Glad it turned out good!

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can shorten your urls with AdFly and make $$$$$$ from every visitor to your shortened urls.