Friday, March 19, 2010

The Day After Tomorrow

Alright, this post is going to be short and sweet. I know a lot of people use their blogs as sort of an outlet and a way to reach people and ask for help. So I'm doing just that.

I need prayers. Lots. Lots of GOOD prayers. Lots of good and GENUINE prayers.

Seriously. This weekend may be the end of what we all know (and hopefully love) of....me.

Yep. It's here. DDay. Dreaded Day. Or DEAD Day as the case may be. The day of my very first HALF-I-MUST-BE-OUT-OF-MY-EVER-LOVIN-MIND-MARATHON!!! Seriously? What was I thinking? I tried to explain why I registered in an earlier blog, but now...well, crap. I have no idea.

So I was all uber-pumped up about my first long distance race after I signed up for it, but then it happened. I was training, running, ya know - doing my half-marathon preparation thing - and BAM! It hit.

Burnout.

I just stopped running.

Okay, okay - I've done a short three or four mile run here and there since the burnout hit, but honestly, for the past month, I've maybe ran a total of five miles. Yes. FIVE!! And I plan on running THIRTEEN POINT ONE day after tomorrow. (Wasn't "Day After Tomorrow" a movie about the end of the Earth? Yep - that's about where I'm at.) This is going to be bad. So that's why I need some prayers. Because, quite literally, I might die. This could be the end of me as we know it. So any shout outs to the Big Guy upstairs on my behalf would be great!

 A few notes on this weekend's shenanigans...


  • I will go ahead and actually go to Atlanta to run, despite every instinct of mine telling me not to...
  • I WILL let the weather decide on my fate (Weather.com called for thunderstorms early Sunday morning and I'm praying the I-never-get-one-forecast-correct website FINALLY gets something right!)...
  • I WILL NOT be so competitive (despite my crazy O.C.D. competitive nature) that I don't stop to pee if nature calls...(I also discussed this disturbing common occurrence during marathons in my earlier blog.)
  • I'm not above Tweeting while running/walking/crawling/dying during the 13.1 miles if they allow me! Be on the lookout!


  • I HAVE done what some call "mind training" for this race, however. I learned this from an old friend and roommate in college. To properly train this way, you just have to think really hard about what you're about to do. And let me tell you - it's exhausting.

    I've thought long and hard about running. Not just running, but running THIS race in hilly, downtown ATL. And I think it's working. My mind feels up to the challenge. My friend even suggested to wear baggy clothes and use weights while thinking, but I bypassed that part. I can only handle so much strenuous thinking activity in one day, ya know?

    Anyway, in closing, I have to be the annoying Devil's Advocate that my friends say I am....a few positive notes about this weekend.....my mind is trained and ready to go, I'll get to visit and stay in downtown Atlanta (which I've heard is the bomb diggity), I won't get rained on, and I won't have piss running down my legs.

    Hotlanta here I come!!

    No comments: