Saturday, June 14, 2008

Extracurricular activities and my new way of life...

As of late, I've become tired of being tired of not having any fun extracurricular actives to entertain myself with in between all the hours spent sitting at my desk pretending to be productive and business-savvy with my bottomless pile cheerleading-related projects at work. Co-workers of mine are always bombastically raving about their extracurricular interests and I'm tired of not sharing my two cents pertaining to my life outside of work. I'm surrounded by sewers (as in people who stitch, not to be confused with a component of the underground sewage system), rock climbers, beer drinkers, cornholers (unless you're from the south – you probably won't know what this exciting activity entails. Google that shit.), cyclists (i.e. my husband), hunters, and potters (those who make pottery, and not the other definition of people who smoke pot - though I know of those who partake in this activity). Habits of mine right now include, but are not limited to the following:


1) eating 2) sleeping 3) working 4) and wasting my life on the internet


Not a very well rounded chain of events that happen throughout the day for me. Sooooo.....I've come to the conclusion that I need to add some other sort of activity in the mix. I briefly considered penguin hunting, but I'm limited on the number of penguins roaming around the Tennessean wilderness and the zoo has strict rules about this. And I even thought about collecting toothbrush handles and doing some sort of vehicular interior design with them. That one won't work though, because a) I know nothing about interior design and b) I only own 3 cars and I doubt anyone else would let me in their car with a glue gun and crap ton of toothbrush handles. Even my 3 cars are cut down in numbers because my husband would NEVER let me get near the Corvette (or his truck, I guess) with a glue gun and a creative gleam in my eye. Anyway, I digress.


The moral of the story is that I need a new pastime. It used to be stunting/cheerleading, but there comes a day (sadly) that one must give up on the dream of doing the "perfect" cheer. Contrary to common beliefs, cheerleading doesn't last forever. So I'm starting two new things that I hope will become quickly joyous habits in my life:


Numero Uno) Blogging. I don't really know what the hell it's all about, but people do it all the time and enjoy it, so...here I am. Welcome to my first official-I'm-a-blogger-blog. (Wish me luck in keeping up with this habit! Not sure if I'm a born blogger or not...but quite frankly, it seems lame. We'll see how long it lasts.)


Dua) (*that's "two" in Indonesian - thank you to my little Indonesian-blooded husby) Running. I've always sporadically ran around my house, through dark buildings late at night, and on a stationary contraption that pretends it knows how many calories I've burned after a short stint of moving on it. No, I mean REAL running. I figured if I needed a habit, why not make it a good one, right? It's better than being a drinker, potter (as in the latter description used above), or theiver (okay, theif. But "theiver" rhymed better with "drinker" & "potter"). And my creative/artistic skills aren't quite up to par, so I figured I'll skip out on the painting, sewing, etc. and spare people who view my creations the internal dilemma of "Do I tell her 'It's awesome!' or be honest and say 'This painting looks like a 6 month old blind kid threw up on it!'"
No. Running is going to be it. And I've officially started today. (Alright, alright...technically I've ran before, but this is my first "running is my hobby" running day.) And I've even started mapping out my runs (or run – singular, in this case) on Nike+.com. As with any hobby (at least I would think it would be "any hobby" unless you're a potter), I'm starting off small. Today was only about 2.5 miles or so, but tomorrow I'm planning on running to Nashville and back. Should be a good time.


Don't worry – this will be good because now you can keep up with my running hobby through my blogging hobby. Word.





No comments: